lyrrael

Childhood's End
Arthur C. Clarke
The Iron Ship
K. McKinley
House Immortal (House Immortal, #1)
Devon Monk
In the Night Garden
Catherynne M. Valente

Authority: A Novel

Authority: A Novel - Jeff VanderMeer For thirty years, a secret agency called the Southern Reach has monitored expeditions into Area X—a remote and lush terrain mysteriously sequestered from civilization. After the twelfth expedition, the Southern Reach is in disarray, and John Rodriguez (aka “Control”) is the team’s newly appointed head. From a series of interrogations, a cache of hidden notes, and more than two hundred hours of profoundly troubling video footage, the secrets of Area X begin to reveal themselves—and what they expose pushes Control to confront disturbing truths about both himself and the agency he’s promised to serve.

I...I don’t know what to think about this series, honestly. It is brain-grilling. The action happens off-screen, and the mystery is still there after the end of book two. I’m not sure there’ll ever be any payoff because...because… that’s just the sort of book it is, which is to say, it’s undefinable, kind of literary, and occasionally grueling. It’s definitely creepy. I think I liked book 1 better. I’m not sure if I want to continue yet. I had to follow it with a series of light books because I just needed a break. I don’t know.