lyrrael

Childhood's End
Arthur C. Clarke
The Iron Ship
K. McKinley
House Immortal (House Immortal, #1)
Devon Monk
In the Night Garden
Catherynne M. Valente

Mortal Heart

Mortal Heart  - Robin LaFevers “I am beginning to think that love itself is never wrong. It is what love can drive people to do that is the problem.”

Annith's been left behind, watching younger and younger girls leave the convent to begin carrying out their missions in the name of Death. When an even younger girl, nowhere near the end of her training, is given a mission, Annith confronts the Abbess -- and learns that she is destined not to be an assassin, but to be the seeress for the convent. But without an ounce of gift for sight and a terror of being stuck within the walls of the convent for the rest of her life, Annith is horrified at the prospect, and strikes out on her own.

I've really enjoyed this series. It is dark, and based on actual historical events, with characters I have come to love over three books. I don't imagine that, with this ending, there will be any more in the series. I'm glad that this book focused on Annith, who has been a major character over the previous two, but passed over in favor of her younger sisters. And the romance in the book? Satisfying. I ended up starting this book around 11 p.m. last night, and finished around 3 a.m., darn my need for sleep.