lyrrael

Childhood's End
Arthur C. Clarke
The Iron Ship
K. McKinley
House Immortal (House Immortal, #1)
Devon Monk
In the Night Garden
Catherynne M. Valente
Those Across the River - Christopher Buehlman

Failed academic Frank Nichols and his wife, Eudora, have arrived in the sleepy Georgia town of Whitbrow, where Frank hopes to write a history of his family's old estate-the Savoyard Plantation- and the horrors that occurred there. At first, the quaint, rural ways of their new neighbors seem to be everything they wanted. But there is an unspoken dread that the townsfolk have lived with for generations. A presence that demands sacrifice. It comes from the shadowy woods across the river, where the ruins of Savoyard still stand. Where a longstanding debt of blood has never been forgotten. A debt that has been waiting patiently for Frank Nichols's homecoming…

I listened to this on audiobook, and man, this narrator is awesome. Brought a lot of flavor to the book, and I was absolutely enraptured by it until it was over. I was also getting a kick out of the fact that they had fled from what is sort-of my home city, Ann Arbor, and that our protagonist had been a history professor at University of Michigan, where my husband is an alumni. Loved it.